Starting out with new technology and gadgets is always so exciting. I remember when I first changed the password of my own Wi-Fi. Even though I had read a lot about routers and Wi-Fis. I was still…nervous.
In this topic we will discuss things like accessing router settings in Netgear Nighthawk, specifying the basic wireless settings in your Netgear Nighthawk for better security and internet connection.
And lastly, accessing attwifimanager with your Netgear Nighthawk!
And don’t get scared with all those technical sounding big words, I’ll explain everything easily and then you’ll be like – ‘huh, that was no biggie!’
What is Netgear?
This is a company’s name and these guys make networking hardware. Like surveillance IP cameras, wireless access points, DSL/cable gateways.
But for the sake of this article all you should know is that they make some of the most advanced routers in USA.
What is Netgear Nighthawk?
Nighthawk is a product series name for the routers manufactured by Netgear brand. You can buy it from Amazon with discounted rate.
What’s Netgear Armor?
Netgear Armor is a part of Netgear Nighthawk and is a multi-layered cybersecurity software added along with Nighthawk routers with features like
- End-point device protection
- Auto Security Updates
- Network vulnerability assessment
- Anti-theft protection
On select devices it also provides special features like,
- Brute force protection
- Anomaly Protection
- DoS and DDoS Protection
- Sensitive Data protection
Which Netgear Router Should you Get?
Many devices are right now WiFi5 devices which use WiFi 5 routers but surely, we are advancing to a more capable future and thus Netgear has launched WiFi 6 routers in the market now.
WiFi 6 routers can handle multiple devices at once without compromising your speed and connection stability with all your IoT devices.
WiFi 6 is four times more efficient than WiFi 5 and since it is also backwards compatible it works well with all your previous WiFi 5 devices.
Read Also: How to Fix “Routerlogin Net Login” Issue?
How to Modify your Netgear Nighthawk Router Settings for Better Performance?
Everything is perfectly preset in your Netgear Nighthawk router settings, the company recommends that you do not make any changes and leave them be.
But if you feel like you must change your network name, password, channel and mode for your personal satisfaction and maybe a slight bit better performance.
Here is how to do those things
- Open a browser from your device that is connected with this router.
- Either type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com
- Enter username (admin) and password (password)
- Pick Wireless
- In Region list, select your region (you can’t change it in some locations)
- Select Enable SSID Broadcast
- To change your network name, type a new one in Name (SSID) field
- To change the channel, select any number from the Channel list
- From Mode list, pick your mode
- Click on Apply
Get out and connect wirelessly to the network with the new settings.
Setting up Netgear Nighthawk with your AT&T Internet
Usually, people go for a Netgear Nighthawk router even after purchasing an AT&T connection because their devices are reported to be slower and cluttery by users.
These routers are pretty powerful third-party routers and so it’s been making a mark in hardware networking market since its inception.
It works great with Xfinity and it can also work with AT&T Fiber and AT&T U-Verse.
Here is How you Set Up your Netgear Nighthawk with AT&T Internet
- Make sure your computer is connected with AT&T gateway wither via Wi-Fi or an ethernet cable.
- Open your internet browser
- Type in 192.168.1.254
- The login credentials are always written on your AT&T gateway, use them to get in
- Now, stick one end of your ethernet cable from your AT&T’s LAN port (there are four, select any one of them) and the other into the WAN port of your Netgear Nighthawk.
- If you have a PACE modem type, go to the Firewall in your gateway settings you just logged into
- And select Netgear Nighthawk from the connected devices list in Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.
- It should be there as the only wired connection in that list, now click upon Allow All Applications to enable DMZplus mode.
- Restart all devices
- If you have an Arris BGW gateway, you will have to enable the IP Passthrough option so go to Firewall
- It will be located here, you will be now prompted to enter the access code of the device
- The code is printed on the modem itself.
- After entering, select DHCP Fixed and click upon your router.
- Save your settings
- Restart all devices
This whole process will ‘bridge’ your AT&T gateway to work only as a modem.
Make your Netgear Nighthawk Faster and More Stable
- Access the gateway settings as previously described
- Go to Wi-Fi
- Here, disable both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi
- Save and restart
By doing this you will allow your Netgear Nighthawk to not get interrupted by your AT&T gateway.
In case your AT&T gateway is blinking red now, restart it.
How to Get to ATTWiFiManager with your Netgear Nighthawk?
If you are using AT&T modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router and you want to access attwifimanager for whatever reasons. All you have to do is to connect all your devices with one another (your computer/phone, your AT&T modem and your Netgear Nighthawk router).
Put one end of your ethernet cable in the LAN port of your AT&T gateway and the other end in the WAN port of your Netgear Nighthawk router.
Make sure your computer or phone is connected to router with either wi-fi or ethernet.
Now to access attwifimanager with your router to do this –
- Open your web browser
- Type http://attwifimanager/ or http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254 , hit Enter
- Enter the login credentials here, which are written on your AT&T modem
- Enter into the panel and tweak whatever you want.
Pros and Cons of Netgear Nighthawk
- It has MU-MIMO technology so you can enjoy faster gaming speeds
- Much higher connectivity and coverage than AT&T gateways
- It supports WPA2 security protocols that includes guest Wi-Fi access, Firewall, DoS and VPN
- Let’s not forget the in-built Netgear Armor Security
- Fast and satisfactory customer support
- Better throughput than most routers
- Linksys and D-Link are much better with their robust menu systems and longevity for professionals
- Lacks fast roaming support
- It uses bothersome third-party apps and websites to handle many of its network settings
- Unlike the wonderful ASUS firmware, it has no MAC-level customization
We told you everything you needed to know about your Netgear Nighthawk routers and accessing your AT&T gateway settings. Hope this was of some help to you. Till we meet again.