Beginners who want to make a career as a programmer often ask the question of which programming language is better to choose. This is not the right question to ask. It is better to ask: “Which language is better to start from?”
After all, to be considered a programmer and try to find a prestigious, high-paying job, you need a good knowledge of several languages at once. Many students combine the study at College with the individual study of programming. I also did that as a student, to have enough time for all of that I preferred to write my paper for cheap online with the help of qualified writers. This way, I had much more time on studying things that were the most important to me.
Algorithm for Choosing the First Language for a Novice Programmer
Decide in which field of programming you want to work. This can be web development, application development for mobile devices, creation of computer games (including 3D programming) or server technologies (back-end), high-level programming.
Find out which languages are actively used in your chosen field, are the most popular.
Choose the easiest of these languages to learn, which you can quickly learn, and then move on to more complex ones.
In programming, the defining skill is understanding the principles of problem-solving, based on which algorithms are compiled. It is not difficult to learn commands of a specific language on this base. Therefore, the first language should have a clear, readable syntax – for a better understanding of the structure of the algorithm.
The direction of web development is the most popular today. This is a good choice for a novice programmer. These languages are considered to be among the easiest to learn.
Among the languages required for web development, the most necessary are:
It is necessary to start teaching them in the following order from easy to more difficult:
Other areas of development are not so easy to learn for beginners, but they can bring good earnings.
Mobile application development requires knowledge of Java (for android), as well as Objective-C, Swift, C# (for iPhone).
To create computer games, you need to know the C and C++ languages well (as well as the basics of computer graphics).
To work with the internal content of systems, with software logic and architecture, knowledge of the languages C++, Java, PHP, Python is necessary.
Data Science specialists work with Python.
High-level programmers have an excellent command of C, C++, and Java languages, as well as many others.
Think about whether you want to do development related to the client-side (front-end) or the server-side (back-end). The more languages you master, the more promising and highly paid specialist you will be.
This is a powerful tool that allows you to solve different types of tasks, while it is available even to beginners.
One of the simplest for beginners. Many students take advantage of it, as well as the best writing service online. It has clear syntax, few service characters, which makes it easy to read and understand someone else’s code.
- Suitable for any OS (cross-platform).
- Makes it possible to work with libraries. It has a huge number of ready-made modules, from which in some cases it is possible to assemble the program almost entirely.
- You can write your module, and then use it in other programs.
- The principles of OOP are well and presented.
- The ability to integrate, if necessary, with C and C++.
- There is no memory leak.
- Automatic garbage collection is implemented.
- It has dynamic typing (it is not necessary to initially specify the type of the variable).
- It has a high development speed.
- It is an interpreted programming language (YAP), which simplifies debugging programs.
- Relatively low execution speed is the downside of interpretability.
- Not the best language in terms of creating mobile applications.
One of the most popular languages used for software development. It is suitable for writing games, developing servers with high performance, drivers, and application programs, and creating OS and applications for embedded systems. For use on different platforms exists in different implementations.
Supports both procedural and object-oriented programming. Combines the properties of low-level and high-level languages.
- The presence of strict typing.
- Possibility of direct access to memory.
- High-performance indicators.
- Low development speed.
- High input threshold.
Refers to object-oriented programming languages. Designed for the Microsoft platform. Syntactically close to C++ and Java.
- It is easier to learn than C, C++, Java, PHP, so it is recommended to study before them.
- It is equally effective in web development, as well as for desktop and mobile applications.
- It has strict (static) typing.
- works only with Windows.
It is suitable for all devices and platforms, allows you to work with desktop applications, creates graphical widgets for web applications. It has gained the greatest popularity as a language that allows you to effectively develop applications for smartphones and other gadgets running on the Android platform.
Refers to object-oriented programming languages. It is an ideal language for understanding all the principles of OOP. In addition, he has excellent work with peripherals and memory.
- There is a great demand for specialists who know the language.
- Does not depend on the device and platform.
- Although Java codes look cumbersome, they provide reliability and clarity.
- Difficult for beginners to learn.
- It takes a lot of time when launching applications.
Many experienced programmers agree that this language is the most suitable for learning it as one of the first programming languages, especially if you want to devote yourself to web development.
- To start working with the program, you do not need to download it and install it on your computer. It allows you to work from a browser.
- It has a high development speed.
- It can be used not only for frontend development (user interface) but also to work with the internal architecture of the server (backend development).
- It offers an abundance of libraries, frameworks, code editors, development environments.
- Lack of consistency (unpredictability).
- Has a chaotic, uncontrolled development.
- Not the simplest in terms of syntax (a lot of service symbols and bracket constructions, some confusion with function names).
- The code has a structured, poorly readable look.
Fast-developing general-purpose scripting, designed to create web applications. Supported by most providers. Allows you to work with databases and generate HTML pages, develop dynamic websites.
- Versatility – allows you to work with images, file systems, databases, server technologies.
- Easy to learn.
- Interpretability (all scripts are compiled in real-time and run for execution).
- Dynamic typing (flexibility).
- Relatively low speed due to dynamic typing and interpretability.
- Requires a large amount of RAM.
It is a high-level general-purpose language, independent of the OS, which has also found its main application in web development. Like PHP, it has dynamic typing and interpretability, with the advantages and disadvantages that follow from this.
A promising language for working with Apple applications (iOS, watchOS, macOS) appeared relatively recently and has not yet managed to completely displace its predecessor Objective-C.
- Demand (leader among languages for Apple).
- Openness (has many third-party tools and supporting communities).
- Security (improves readability and eliminates errors when writing codes).
- Fast operation (far superior to Python and Objective-C).
- Reduced the amount of memory required.
- The language is too young, it is in the process of development.
- Unstable due to constant improvements.
- Poor compatibility with third-party tools.
- Does not support earlier versions than iOS7.
What is Better for Freelancing?
The main front of a freelancer’s work is small projects that he can handle alone in a relatively short time. Such projects are usually related to web development.
The most popular languages for a freelance programmer are already well-known to us:
Knowledge of other languages (such as Java and Swift) will also not hurt, since orders can be offered from other areas (for example, to develop an application for a mobile device).
The most important thing you should understand is that there is no universal language. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, depending on the scope of application. First, choose the one language that seems easiest for you to learn.