Snapchat is one of the most popular social media applications available on our smartphones. It offers seamless communication and has made sharing our moments and photos with our friends convenient.
But what happens when your Snapchat keeps crashing on your iPhone?
Not only will issues like this hamper your social media experience, but may also put a stopper to your activity on Snapchat. For people who are serious about maintaining streaks, a crashing Snapchat would be nothing short of a nightmare!
For this very reason, we have made a list of possible problems along with their solutions for people whose Snapchat app keeps crashing on iPhone.
Why Snapchat Keeps Crashing on iPhone?
If you have encountered this problem recently, or if your Snapchat won’t open all of a sudden, then you might be looking at some simple diagnoses and even simpler solutions.
Before we get into our comprehensive list of solutions, you’ll need to check the following –
- If the Snapchat server is down in your area: You can easily check the status of the Snapchat server on Google. Ensure that Snapchat is working for everyone else before you proceed.
- See if your internet is working: Try switching your internet off and on again after a few seconds. Check if your internet is working on other apps. If it’s working for all the other apps instead of Snapchat, move to the next solution.
- Check if you are using a VPN: Using a VPN might interrupt the normal operation of your iPhone. This might even cause your Snapchat to crash and display error messages. If you have a VPN on, you need to disable it. You can do so by going to your iPhone Settings > General > VPN > Profile (i) > Delete VPN.
If none of the above solutions are working for you, you can proceed to our list of 10 fixes that can potentially solve your problem.
10 Fixes for Snapchat App Crashing on your iPhone Device
Below is a detailed list of all the solutions that you can follow sequentially to solve your problem.
1. Restart your iPhone
The simplest fix for almost any iPhone-related issue is to reboot your phone. When your phone boots, all the software turns off and on again, eliminating any kind of glitches from the phone.
Here’s how to restart your iPhone –
- Press and hold the Power (side) Button for a few seconds.
- After that, you will have a Slide to Power Off option.
- Release the Power Button when you see the option.
- Drag the slider towards the right of the screen.
- This will cause your iPhone to switch off.
- Wait for half a minute, then hold the Power Button again until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Now, wait for your iPhone to boot up and see if your Snapchat is working properly now.
2. Update your iOS Version
If your Snapchat app has started crashing all of a sudden without any prior warnings, then your iPhone’s software might have something to do with it.
Being an iPhone user, your app gets updated automatically. But to update your iOS version, you’ll need to take manual steps. Thus, we recommend you ensure that your iOS version is up-to-date for seamless functionality. Doing so might fix your issue.
Here’s how you can update your iPhone software –
- Go to your iPhone Settings.
- Go to General settings.
- Find and tap on Software Update.
- Ensure that your iPhone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Check if your iPhone software needs an update.
- If an update is available, download and install it.
3. Update your Snapchat App
If your iOS version is up-to-date, but you are using an older version of Snapchat, it would still be incompatible and provide errors.
Thus, you must keep your apps up-to-date as well. Here’s how you can update your Snapchat application on iOS 13 and later –
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Click on the Profile icon located on the top right corner of your screen.
- If you haven’t signed up, you’ll need to enter your Apple ID and password to log in.
- Now scroll till you see the Snapchat application from the list of Update section.
- If there is an Update button next to Snapchat, click on it. If there is no Update button, it means that you have the latest Snapchat version.
4. Force Stop your Snapchat
Sometimes force-quitting your Snapchat app and reopening it again might help. All you need to do is follow these steps –
- Click the Home Button twice on your iPhone. A multitask screen will appear.
- Swipe that screen to your right.
- You’ll see a list. Find Snapchat in the list.
- Tap and swipe up the Snapchat icon to completely close the application.
- Restart the app and check if it’s crashing now.
5. Delete and Re-Install your Snapchat Application
Another potential fix to your problem might be to simply delete Snapchat and install it again from the app store.
Here’s how to delete your Snapchat app on iOS 15 or later –
- Open your home screen and find the Snapchat app.
- Tap and hold on to the Snapchat icon until a pop-up appears on your screen.
- Tap on Delete.
- Next, you will be shown a confirmation message. Tap on Delete again to finish the process.
Here’s how to reinstall your Snapchat –
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- On the search bar, type Snapchat.
- You’ll get a list of apps with Snapchat on the top.
- Click on the Snapchat app.
- Now tap on the clown with the download arrow on it.
- Wait for the app to download and install.
6. Clear Snapchat Data
Another reason why your Snapchat might be displaying error messages is that its data is corrupted. A segment of the app’s data like cache or temp files gets corrupted often and interrupts the app’s functioning.
Here’s how you can clear Snapchat’s data on your iPhone –
- Press the Home Button of your iPhone twice quickly.
- A multitask screen will appear. You will see a list of apps that you’ve used recently.
- Find Snapchat on the list and then swipe up on the app to clear all the data.
7. Delete all Third-Party Snapchat Apps, if any
iPhone only accepts the use of official apps straight from the App Store. To avoid any kind of error, make sure that you don’t use any third-party Snapchat apps on your iPhone, or else it might start crashing for no apparent reason.
The above information applies to all the other applications on your iPhone device as well.
8. Check Local Snapchat Server Status
You can use the Downdetector website online to check the server status of any kind of service that you might be using, including Snapchat.
Your issue might not be your issue at all, but a problem that everyone is facing. If the Snapchat server is down, then you can do nothing but wait while the admins resolve the issue.
9. Downgrade your iOS Version
If nothing else is working, you can try and see if the issue is arising because of your iOS version. A software glitch might cause an incompatibility rift between the app and your iOS version.
The simple solution would downgrade from iOS 15 to iOS 14.8. Although, we recommend that you wait for the latest update instead of doing this.
10. Seek Customer Support
Tired of searching for “why does my Snapchat keep crashing” on Google search? You can avoid all the hassle by contacting Apple’s ever-ready customer support staff.
They’ll be able to help you diagnose the problem and come up with a speedy solution. Do consider taking help from the support team if nothing else seems to work.
In this article, we provided a list of all the reasons why your Snapchat keeps crashing on your iPhone along with the potential solutions.
We hope that this article helped you in diagnosing and fixing your issue.